Monday, May 18, 2009

Hammy's back, again...



Hey guys...Hammy here.

You all must be wondering, where had I been? Holiday? Traveling? Haha, no no no. I had been slacking actually. Becoming fatter everyday. Jim tells me that I'm becoming more and more like a tennis ball rather than a fat hamster. Munching on sunflower seeds everyday , what do you expect? Hahaa....

Well, I guess I had to get back to my normal routine, and that is to type, and type and type with my paws. Jim tells me that it will keep my in shape (not keep me round of course).

Jim had been preeeeetty busy with his work , assignments in uni, tests, labs...you name it. It had kept him from having a time to slack, seriously!! He's always on his feet, like always, which I don't like it at all. I always have this phobia that he will one day step on me. He promised me that he won't but wait till he gets up early in the morning and see how blur he is. Oh well...

Alright, I'll get straight to the point. Jim wants me to share a little bit about his fast that he just went through almost 2 months ago. He did a 40-day Daniel fast. If you do not know what that is, it's a fast where you abstain from meat. Jim decided to abstain from meat, eggs, dairy products, preservatives, caffeine, artificial flavouring, certain types of oil....to sum it all up , abstaining from anything that is not natural. Yea, it wasn't easy for him especially for the first few days because if you know Jim well, he loves drinks with sugar(oh ya, he can't have sugar too, including honey) , eggs, fried stuff. The second week was not easy either. There had been so many occasions where he joins his friends for dinner but can't eat the food. He had to bring his own.

40 days he did that. Yes, there were times when he complained, and yes, there were times when he was so tempted...but yet, all he can say is that he did it all with God's strength and guidance. So, why he fasted? A simple few reasons:

1. To draw closer to God.
2. To get rid of past bad habits.
3. To ask for God's specific will for his life(eg. what will he be in 5 years time)

The first two came to past, but the third one, still seeking confirmation, and Jim said that he will tell me in due time. This Jim is so secretive with me. How can this be? But, coming back, he did not regret going through that fast. It did change him and he can sense the change around him. One obvious thing will be his relationship with God. It had definitely brought him closer.

I ask him what will he say to people who hadn't fasted before? He told me that you will not lose anything, instead, you will gain more. Do whatever it takes to draw closer to God, even if it cost you something.


But the king said to Araunah, "No, but I will buy it of you for a price; I will not offer burnt offerings to the Lord my God which cost me nothing." So David bought the threshing floor and the oxen for fifty shekels of silver.
2 Samuel 24:24

2 comments:

Julian Tay said...

No MEAT for 40 days!?
well done, brother, well done =)
Good luck for your exams and everything else!

Peace out.

Anonymous said...

live173视讯live秀 , live173视讯live秀 , live173视讯live秀 , live173视讯live秀 , live173视讯live秀 , live173视讯live秀 , live173视讯live秀 , live173视讯live秀 , live173直播 , live173直播